March 5, 2011

Like Susie.....I am a blog virgin!

So, first of all, I absolutely LOVE this idea. I think Susie had an absolute brainchild with this one, and I'm so excited that we all can share our recipes, thoughts, struggles, and success on here together!

Today has been a busy, HECTIC day in our house, but we started it out right with a healthy brunch - which we took a slightly weighty recipe - and made it a little bit better. I have posted the link below to the Ultimate Frittata:

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-ultimate-breakfast-frittata-25219

We unfortunately didn't have bacon, so we used imported salami (which we had in our fridge), and instead of mushrooms, we threw in asparagus, shallots, red bell peppers, and sliced tomatoes on top. I have NEVER seen the kids inhale a breakfast so quickly, it helps that they adore asparagus, but man, it was a hit! And for a small serving, it was only 300 calories! Loved it!

Another great recipe I was telling Susie about last night, is my friend Clarissa's Energy balls - they are a GREAT snack, super filling, and delicious - if you are a peanut butter fan, which I am! I made these tonight and am chilling them for the week, Ray and the kids are excited to try them, and they are roughly about 65 to 70 calories per ball. :)

Clarissa's Energy Balls

1 Cup Smooth Peanut Butter (I use all natural peanut butter)
1 or 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Cup Toasted Wheat Germ
1/2 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk
1/2 Cup Honey

Mix together thoroughly, roll into little balls, then roll in wheat germ (or crushed nuts, or granulated sugar) and chill. (I always roll in additional wheat germ!)

And finally....to round out our day, we had Greek Chicken and Potatoes for dinner, with carrots and dill and a little butter as the side. I never thought my husband would love chicken and potatoes, but he absolutely RAVES over this dish. He actually REQUESTS it! We do about 3 to 4 chicken breasts, and about 4 medium sized russet potatoes. Then in addition to the salt and pepper, we throw in some Greek seasoning (you can buy at any store, or get from the Spice Guy at The River Market!), and finally add a little white wine to the cooking liquid. It normally takes longer than the 35 minutes, but is WELL WORTH IT!

http://www.food.com/recipe/greek-chicken-and-potatoes-93596

Hope you all enjoyed my first post, looking forward to all the goodies this blog will bring, and sharing with you all! Happy Saturday!!

4 comments:

  1. Guess I should have just given the link to the blueberry scones rather than put the whole recipe on there! I will do that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You girls should check out skinnytaste.com. I made a tuna noodle casserole the other day and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those energy balls sound very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am all over that website. I love it!

    ReplyDelete